HIGH-SPEED RESISTANCE TRAINING IMPROVES PEAK POWER AND THE SPEED WITH WHICH IT IS ACHIEVED IN OLDER SUBJECTS
Sayers, S. P., & Kyle, G. (2013). The effect of high-speed power training on peak power production in older adults. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 45(5), Supplement abstract number 1006.
This study examined whether resistance training at high speed reduced the external resistance (and increased the velocity) at which peak power is produced. Older adults (~70 years; M = 22; F = 50) participated in a lower extremity leg-press resistance-training program for 12 weeks. Ss were randomized to high-speed power training at 40% one-repetition maximum (N = 25; 3 x 12-14 reps), slow-speed strength training at 80% one-repetition maximum (N = 25; 3 x 8-10 reps), or control (N = 22; stretching) three times per week for 12 weeks. Leg-press 1RM, peak power (the highest value obtained from 40%-90% 1RM), and the corresponding peak-power velocity and peak-power force were obtained at baseline and 12 weeks.
For the 40% and 80% loads, the change in leg-press and peak power was greater than that of the control group. There was a 19% change in peak-power velocity in the 40% load group compared to the 80% load group, but an 18% change in peak-power force in the 80% load group compared to the 40% group. The 40% load lowered the external resistance at which peak power was produced from baseline to post-training. There was no change in the point at which peak power was produced in either the 80% load or control group after the 12-week intervention.
Implication. A 40% 1 RM load improved peak power and shifted the point at which peak power was produced to lower external resistances. Thus, resistance training at high speeds maximizes the ability to use movement speed to produce peak power. This study shows that older citizens can enjoy and benefit from high-speed resistance training.
Return to Table of Contents for this issue.