BETTER COACHING FROM BETTER DECISIONS
TOPIC CONTROL PAGE
HOW AND WHAT FACTORS ARE AFFECTING AN ATHLETE BEFORE COMPETING
To activate a lecture module, click on the appropriate link below.
Click here for lecture content of Part 1 of Topic 8.
Click here for lecture content of Part 2 of Topic 8.
FACTORS THAT COULD AFFECT THE PERCEPTION OF THE "PRESSURE" TO COMPETE
- Parental expectations (E)
- What you expect to gain from the competition (I)
- Friends' and teammates' expectations (E)
- How successful you expect to be (I)
- Press and media expectations (E)
- Your competition preparation (I)
- Crowd or audience effects (E)
- Your need to improve (I)
- Coach expectations (E)
- The anticipated contest difficulty (I)
- Opponents (E)
- Your control over the preparation for the contest (I)
- Officials' and organizers' actions (E)
- Your readiness to perform (I)
- The competition's importance (I)
- Your goals for the competition (I)
- Other sources (E) or (I)
DIMENSIONS OF PRESSURE FACTORS
Range from very negative (-3) to very positive (+3)
Can be internal (I) or external (E)
- Internal positive
- Internal negative
- External negative
- External positive
Return to Workshop Control Page.