BETTER COACHING FROM BETTER DECISIONS
TOPIC CONTROL PAGE
THE PRACTICE SESSION COACHING PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT FORM
To activate a lecture module, click on the appropriate link below.
Click here for lecture content of Part 1 of Topic 11.
Click here for lecture content of Part 2 of Topic 11.
Click here for lecture content of Part 3 of Topic 11.
CONTENT OF THE
PRACTICE SESSION COACHING PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT FORM (PSCPAF)
- The majority of coaching time was spent on technique/tactics instruction.
- Individual interactions occurred more often than group instruction.
- More time was spent coaching than in watching/managing.
- Positive reinforcement occurred much more frequently than correction/direction.
- All areas of the practice environment were supervised satisfactorily.
- Demonstrations/models were used appropriately.
- Commented to every athlete about the quality of and performances in the practice session.
- Interacted individually with every athlete during the session.
- Monitored and ensured that no athlete experienced excessive fatigue.
- Provided variety in the training stimuli in the program.
- Athletes established goals for each important training item.
- Athletes were asked or were given an opportunity to evaluate whether they achieved or did not achieve their self-set goals for each important training item.
- Asked each athlete's opinion of how he/she felt.
- Asked each athlete's perception of his/her performance quality.
- The training session content was in accord with a sound training plan.
- Training session content was made known to the athletes prior to the start of practice.
- Athletes were kept busy all the time.
- Athletes were shown videos of themselves for technique analysis.
- Directions and communications were based on sound reasoning and were well thought-out.
- Each athlete left practice with a positive feeling.
Reference: Rushall, B. S. (1994). The assessment of coaching effectivness. Spring Valley, CA: Sports Science Associates. For more information and details about the book and its contents click here.
Return to Workshop Control Page.