Rushall, B. S., & Pyke, F. S. (1990). Training for sports and fitness. Melbourne, Australia: Macmillan Educational.
Chapter 14, "Strength Training" considers many of the implications included in this issue of Coaching Science Abstracts." The contents are divided into the following topics.
- Physiological responses to strength training
- Neural adaptations
- Hypertrophy or hyperplasia?
- Cellular adaptations
- Muscular endurance
- Cardiovascular adaptations
- Modifying variables in strength training
- Speed of development
- Loss of strength
- Speed of movement
- Resistance magnitude
- Contraction type
- Specificity of strength training
- Programming variables in strength training
- Isometric strength training
- Isotonic training
- Steps in sequencing an isotonic strength training session
- Circuit training
- Programming circuits
- Considerations for planning strength training
- Final considerations
Return to Table of Contents for this issue.