BETTER COACHING FROM BETTER DECISIONS
TOPIC CONTROL PAGE
UNDERSTANDING AN ATHLETE'S REACTION TO A COMPETITIVE EFFORT
To activate a lecture module, click on the appropriate link below.
Click here for lecture content of Part 1 of Topic 10.
CONTENTS OF THE PERFORMANCE DEBRIEFING LOG
- Rate the standard of your performance:
- Briefly indicate the general features of your competition strategy that went very well and need not be changed.
- Was there sufficient task-relevant content in the strategy? Where can it be improved? Indicate what needs to be done.
- What was planned but not done? Should it be altered? Indicate what needs to be done.
- What was done but had not been planned? Should those actions be included in the strategy? If so, record them below.
- Was the positive self-statements' content sufficient to keep a positive approach and concentration on the task during the contest (particularly the intensification stage)? If changes need to be made record them below.
- Were the mood words satisfactory and used frequently enough? If changes need to be made enter them below.
- Does your concentration need to be improved? If so, how can that be accomplished? Record what you need to do.
- Did your intensification work? If it can be improved, what do you need to do? Enter your proposed actions.
- What features of your competition strategy need to be improved? How can these be practiced at training sessions? Enter appropriate activity descriptions below (i.e., what you would like to do at practice).
- What are the technical and/or tactical features of your performance that did not go as planned? In the spaces below list those features and the training activities which are appropriate to allow them to improve.
- What features of the precompetition strategy need to be altered? Should anything be done to increase your positiveness and/or focus? Record what needs to be done.
- Did your contest build-up routine work? Do you have to alter it to make it more effective? If so, record those things which you need to do.
- Should any of the content or actions that you have recorded above be used in other exercises (e.g., setting and evaluating personal activity goals - Exercise 3.4; the establishment of a daily positive focus - Exercise 4.1; and daily positive focus - Exercise 4.2)? If so, which ones? Enter your decisions below.
- The final action in the debriefing procedure is to apply the decisions that have been made above to alter the strategies used for the competition that was debriefed. Make those alterations as soon as possible on your strategy worksheets. When they are completed enter the information that is required below.
Return to Workshop Control Page.